Xôi Lá Đậu Xanh Instant Pot (Pandan Sticky Rice with Mung Bean Paste)
Author: Katie Le | Katie’s Test Kitchen
Can use 6 or 8-quart for this recipe
- 1 can (13.5 fl oz) of coconut milk
- 2 cups of long grain sweet/glutinous rice (washed well, drained)
- 1 cup of peeled split mung bean (washed multiple times until liquid runs clear, drained)
- 1 cup of frozen scraped coconut
- 2 Pandan Leaves (can use fresh or frozen, cut into 5-6 inches length)
- 1/4 tsp of Pandan Extract/Paste
Topping (mix to taste, use measurement below as starting point)
- 1/2 cup of crushed roasted peanuts (can roast in the air fryer, click here)
- 4 tbsp of sugar
- 1 tsp of sea salt or table salt
- Steamer Basket (comes in different sizes)
- Remove 5 tbsp of coconut milk and mix with 1 tbsp of sugar, cover and set aside (place in the fridge if you are steaming rice the next morning). Cover sweet rice with the remainder coconut milk and 1/2 tsp of salt and let it soak for 4 plus hours or overnight on the counter.
- Scraped coconut – Place 1 cup of water in inner pot, add frozen scraped coconut in steamer basket/tray. Close lid and select Manual/Pressure Cook, 3 minutes, 5 minutes NPR and manually release remainder pressure (QR). Set scraped coconut aside for later use.
- Mung Bean Paste – Add 1 cup of washed mung bean to inner pot along with 1/2 tsp of salt, 1 tbsp of sugar and 2 cups of water. Close lid and select Manual/Pressure Cook, 7 minutes, NPR. Open lid and cancel Keep Warm. Stir/smash mung beans with a large spoon or spatula and set aside. If it looks too “liquidy” after smashing, cover with lid for 20 minutes or so. Liquid will slowly absorb. You can also place the smashed beans in the refrigerator, cover with plastic food wrap a few minutes.
- When ready to steam, drain liquid from sweet rice in a colander. Mix in 1/4 tsp of Pandan Paste. Stir and mix well make sure sweet rice is well colored (add more paste if needed for more vibrant green). Add sweet rice to steamer basket, mix in Pandan Leaves and poke a small hole with your index finger in the middle of the basket. Add 1.5 cup of water to inner pot, gently drop in sweet rice basket. Close lid and select Manual/Pressure Cook, 10 minutes, Quick Release. Open lid, remove all Pandan Leaves and fluff the sweet rice with a fork or chopsticks. Slowly drizzle coconut milk/sugar mixture from step 1 and fluff rice again. Close lid and select Manual/Pressure Cook, 3 minutes, Quick Release. Open lid, remove rice from basket into large bowl/plate and fluff rice again.
- To serve add rice to a plate, top with mung bean paste, scraped coconut and sprinkle with sugar/salt/peanuts mixture. Leftovers can be refrigerated and reheat in the microwave when ready to eat. Keep sugar/salt/peanuts mixture in an airtight ziplock bag or container on the counter. Add to sticky rice before serving.