Súp Nui Sườn Heo Instant Pot (One Pot Elbows and Spare Ribs Soup)
Author: Katie Le | Katie’s Test Kitchen
- 2 lbs of spare ribs (washed, parboiled for 5 minutes on stove top, rinsed well)
- 2 cups of Elbows pasta
- 1 lb of carrot (about 3 medium loose carrots, peeled, cut into large chunks about 1 inch length)
- 1 onion, yellow or white (peeled outer dried layers)
- 1 tbsp of Quoc Viet Pork Soup Base (if you want to omit, add more salt and balance it out with sugar, no exact amount so please cater to your taste)
- 1.5 tsp of sea salt (add a little more if using table salt)
- 1 thumb-sized (approximately) piece of rock sugar
- mushroom seasoning to taste
- sugar to taste
- pepper to garnish
- chopped onion/cilantro to garnish
- chopped fresh chili if you like it spicy
- About 9 cups of hot/boiling water (use boiling water to speed up pressure building time)
- Add parboiled spare ribs, Elbows pasta, carrots, onion, 1 tbsp of QV soup base, 1.5 tsp of sea salt, rock sugar and 8 cups of hot/boiling water. Close lid, set knob to Sealing. Select Pressure Cook/Manual, High Pressure, 6 minutes with 5 minutes NPR.
- After the 5 minutes NPR, manually release pressure by gently/slowly turning knob to Venting. Open lid, remove onion and add in 2 more cups of hot/boiling water. Cancel Keep Warm and select Saute to bring broth to a boil. Use this time to taste your broth and make adjustments as needed to cater to your taste. For me, I added in 2 tbsp of mushroom seasoning and about 1 tsp of sugar.
- Ladle to soup bowl. Garnish with chopped onion/and or cilantro and black pepper. Serve immediately. I don’t recommend making extra for the next day. Leftovers may need additional broth as pasta will slowly absorb liquid and broth will thicken.
Could I omit the elbow pasta and just make the broth? Then boil elbow pasta as I want to eat it? Planning on making this as meal prep for brothers for breakfast 🙂
Can we make this without the noodles and add the noodles when we are ready to eat? I’m wanting to meal prep this and have the broth ready.
Yes, of course! I also have a similar recipe on here with chicken. Sort of like chicken noodle soup.
I’ve made this several times and it’s delicious! I like how you’ve modernized it to be kid friendly with the macaroni!
Thank you, Lisa! Good to hear that!
What size IP did you use for this recipe?
Hi, I used the 8-quart.
Hi Katie! I love this recipe—it is so delicious! What cut of pork do you recommend instead of spare ribs? Thank you!
You can simply use pork bones to cook the broth instead of spare ribs, but I’d recommend doing 20 mins hp so which means you can’t do this “one pot” style. Otherwise the seasoning is the same.
You can just use pork neck bones which has a little bit of meat as well.
If using oxtail how long should I cook it and should I put the veggies in at the same time or later? Thanks
If you use oxtail I don’t recommend following this recipe as oxtail takes much longer to cook. Instead, follow my other Sup Nui Ga Recipe (https://katiestestkitchen.com/portfolio/vietnamese-chicken-noodle-soup-instant-pot-sup-nui-ga/). You can amend this recipe using oxtail instead, parboil oxtail on the stove top for 5 minutes to get rid of impurities, then put in IP and cook for about 30 minutes HP. Steam carrots separately like this is recipe and cook pasta on the stove top. The seasoning and water can be the same. Hope it works!
Can back ribs be used in place of spare ribs? What adjustments would be needed?
Perfect the way it is – no substitutions. The spare ribs fell off the bones. Thank you so much for the recipe! Reminded me of my childhood.