Tôm Rim (Vietnamese Caramelized Shrimps)
Author: Katie Le | Katie’s Test Kitchen
- 1 lbs of large shrimps (I used headless, peel-on and deveined Tiger shrimps. Washed well with salt and drained dry.)
- 1 tbsp of mushroom seasoning
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- 2 tbsp of fish sauce ( I used 3 Crabs brand)
- 1/2 tsp of ground black pepper
- 1 minced shallot
- 1 clove of garlic (crushed)
- 1/3 cup of Coco Rico Soda
- cooking oil
- 1 green onion to garnish (chopped)
- fresh chili (optional)
- Marinate the shrimps with mushroom seasoning, sugar, fish sauce, black pepper, and minced shallot for about 15-30 minutes on your counter. If longer, it’s best leave the marinade in the refrigerator.
- When ready to cook, on medium heat add about 2 tbsp of cooking oil to a pan/skillet. Once it’s hot add the crushed garlic and wait until it releases fragrance. Add the shrimps along with the marinade sauce. After the bottom side turns pink flip the shrimps to the other side and cook for another minute or 2. Add 1/3 cup of Coco Rico Soda. Once it comes to a boil taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning as needed to cater to your taste (may add more sugar or fish sauce). Allow the shrimps to simmer on medium low heat until the liquid is almost cooked off. Remember to turn the shrimps a few times and remove from heat immediately once it’s done.
- Garnish with chopped green onion and fresh chili if you like. Tôm Rim can be served with white rice or plain porridge (cháo trắng). It compliments perfectly with Canh Tôm Kho Cải Napa (Dried Shrimps with Napa Cabbage Soup).