Canh Tôm Kho Cải Napa (Dried Shrimps with Napa Cabbage Soup)
Author: Katie Le | Katie’s Test Kitchen
- 1/3 cup of dried shrimps (soaked in 1 cup of water for 30 minutes, drained but set aside the water for later use, used a pestle to lightly smash the shrimps to release flavor)
- 10 large napa cabbage leaves (washed well, chopped to 1 inch length)
- 5 cups of water
- 1/2 tsp of sea salt
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- 2 tbsp of mushroom seasoning
- 1/4 tsp of ground black pepper (more to garnish)
- 1 green onion to garnish (chopped)
- Bring 5 cups of water and the water from soaking the dried shrimps to a boil. Then add the dried smashed dried shrimps. Season with 1 tbsp of sugar, 1/2 tsp of sea salt, 2 tbsp of mushroom seasoning and 1/4 tsp of black ground pepper. Taste the broth and adjust to your taste.
- Add chopped napa cabbage and bring the broth to a boil for a minute or 2. Turn off heat and remove the soup from the pot to prevent overcooking the cabbage.
- Garnish with chopped green onion and black pepper. This soup can be served with white rice and compliment perfectly with Tôm Rim (Vietnamese Caramelized Shrimps).