Thịt Kho Tiêu Instant Pot (Braised Caramel Pork with Pepper)
Author: Katie Le | Katie’s Test Kitchen
- Perfect for 3-quart IP
- 1 lb of pork shoulder/butt or pork belly (sliced to about 1/4 inch thick, not too thick not too thin)
- 3 tbsp of good fish sauce ( I used Red Boat. Another good brand is Three Crabs)
- 1 tbsp of of sugar
- 1/2 tsp of pre-made coconut caramel syrup (see photo below, feel free to make your own!)
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of ground black pepper, depends on your taste, I used 1/4 because it was supposed to be kids friendly; extra ground pepper to garnish
- 3 green onion (minced white part; coarsely chopped green part)
- 1 shallot (minced)
- 1/2 cup of Coco Rico Soda
- cooking oil
- Combine sliced pork, minced white part onion, fish sauce, sugar, caramel sauce and ground pepper. Allow it to marinate for about 15 – 30 minutes.
- When ready to cook, turn on IP to Saute mode, adjust to High, and add oil to cover the bottom of the pot (about 2 tbsp or so). Once the oil is hot, add minced shallot and saute until fragrant. Add the marinated sliced pork and saute for about 2-3 minutes. Mix often. Pour 1/2 cup of Coco Rico Soda, give it a quick stir, close lid, be sure knob is on Sealing, select Manual/Pressure Cook, High Pressure, 5 minutes.
- Once the cook time is over, quick release immediately! Open lid and switch to Saute mode, adjust to Normal. Allow the sauce to thicken in about 5-10 minutes. Use this time to adjust the seasoning to your taste by adding more sugar and/or fish sauce. Be sure to stir often. Turn off heat once the sauce is thick to your liking.
- Garnish braised pork with additional ground pepper and chopped green onion. Braised pork is typically served with vegetable such as sliced cucumber or tomato as well as pickled mustard greens. A large bowl of rice is a must! Enjoy!