Sườn Kho Thơm/Khóm Instant Pot (Vietnamese Braised Spare Ribs with Pineapple)
Author: Katie Le | Katie’s Test Kitchen
- (perfect for 3-quart IP)
- 2 lbs of spare ribs (parboil on stove top for 5 minutes, rinsed well, drained)
- 2 shallots (minced)
- 3 tbsp of fish sauce
- 1.5 tbsp of sugar
- 1 tbsp of mushroom seasoning (optional)
- 1 cups of Coco Rico Soda (can substitute for Coconut Water)
- 1/4 tsp of black peppers
- 1 tsp of coconut caramel syrup (make your own if you wish, for color)
- about 1/3 to 1/2 a ripe pineapple (removed core, cut to small chunks); If your pineapple isn’t fully ripe saute on the stove top (for about 3-5 minutes) with a little bit of cooking oil and season with 1 tbsp of sugar and 1 tbsp of mushroom seasoning
- chopped green onion and more ground pepper to garnish
1. In the inner pot add parboiled spare ribs with minced shallot, fish sauce, sugar, mushroom seasoning, pepper and coconut caramel syrup. Give it a good toss and marinate for about 1-2 hours. If you are short on time, 15 minutes would be okay too!
2. When ready to cook place inner pot in the IP, add Coco Rico Soda, mix well and close lid. Select Pressure Cook/Manual, High Pressure, 8 minutes. Quick Release.
3. Once cook time is over, quick release. Switch to saute mode with normal heat (lid off) and add the pineapple. Stir a few times and let it simmers for 5 -10 minutes or so. Color will slowly get darker. Use this time to taste the sauce and add more sugar/fish sauce as needed. Please cater to your taste!
4. Garnish with green onion and black peppers. Serve with rice!