Chè Bắp Instant Pot (Vietnamese Sweet Corn Pudding)
Author: Katie Le | Katie’s Test Kitchen
- (perfect for 3-quart IP)
- 4 yellow corn (shaved kernels thinly using a vegetable peeler, or a sharp kitchen knife if you don’t have a peeler)
- 1 cup of glutinous/sweet rice (washed well, drained)
- 3/4 to 1 cup of sugar (for reference, 1 cup is the sweetness level you’ll find for Che Bap at the Viet Deli)
- 4 cups of water
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract OR 1 bag of vanilla sugar
- 2- 3 Pandan leaves (optional, tied into a knot)
- 1 can of coconut creme
- 1 Pandan leaf (tied into a knot)
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tbsp of sugar (add more if you want a sweeter sauce)
- 1 tbsp of corn or tapioca starch and mix with 1 tbsp of water)
1. In the inner pot, mix well glutinous rice, shaved corn, sugar, vanilla extract, and water. Add the Pandan leaves if you are using. Select Pressure Cook/Manual, Low Pressure, 14 minutes. Quick release.
2. For the Coconut Sauce, bring coconut milk/cream, water, pandan leaf, salt and sugar to a gentle boil on the stove top. Slowly stir in the starch mixture to thicken the sauce.
3. Once the cook time is up quick release. Remove and discard Pandan leaves. If water hasn’t fully absorbed, Switch to saute mode under Normal heat until all absorb (stir often to avoid rice sticking to pot). Turn off IP and remove the corn pudding from inner pot or place the entire inner pot in the fridge if you are serving later. Do not keep it on “Keep Warm” as rice will stick to the bottom of the pot. Serve corn pudding hot or cold with coconut sauce.