Chè Bắp Instant Pot (Vietnamese Sweet Corn Pudding)
Author: Katie Le | Katie’s Test Kitchen
- (perfect for 3-quart IP)
- 4 yellow corn (shaved kernels thinly using a vegetable peeler, or a sharp kitchen knife if you don’t have a peeler)
- 1 cup of glutinous/sweet rice (washed well, drained)
- 3/4 to 1 cup of sugar (for reference, 1 cup is the sweetness level you’ll find for Che Bap at the Viet Deli)
- 4 cups of water
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract OR 1 bag of vanilla sugar
- 2- 3 Pandan leaves (optional, tied into a knot)
- 1 can of coconut creme
- 1 Pandan leaf (tied into a knot)
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tbsp of sugar (add more if you want a sweeter sauce)
- 1 tbsp of corn or tapioca starch and mix with 1 tbsp of water)
1. In the inner pot, mix well glutinous rice, shaved corn, sugar, vanilla extract, and water. Add the Pandan leaves if you are using. Select Pressure Cook/Manual, Low Pressure, 14 minutes. Quick release.
2. For the Coconut Sauce, bring coconut milk/cream, water, pandan leaf, salt and sugar to a gentle boil on the stove top. Slowly stir in the starch mixture to thicken the sauce.
3. Once the cook time is up quick release. Remove and discard Pandan leaves. If water hasn’t fully absorbed, Switch to saute mode under Normal heat until all absorb (stir often to avoid rice sticking to pot). Turn off IP and remove the corn pudding from inner pot or place the entire inner pot in the fridge if you are serving later. Do not keep it on “Keep Warm” as rice will stick to the bottom of the pot. Serve corn pudding hot or cold with coconut sauce.
Thanks for the recipe Katie! Very easy to make and the sweetness is perfect👌😍
What if it isn’t fresh corn season?
Hi, some people have used corn from a can or frozen. I’d recommend frozen over can though.
Katie, would one bag of frozen corn be the same as four corn?
Do you mean frozen corn?
Do you have the recipe for sweet mung pudding?
Hi Michelle, no not yet. I hope to soon.
1 cup standard size or 1 rice cup?
can you use pandan extract instead of pandan leaves?
The pandan extract has green food coloring so I wouldn’t recommend it. You can just leave out the pandan leaves. That’s fine too.
If I want to make 3x the serving size, could I still cook it for 20 min or is the cook time longer?
You can keep cook time the same.