Vietnamese Chicken Roti with Red Rice Instant Pot
Author: Katie Le | Katie’s Test Kitchen
Chicken and Marinade
– 2 Cornish Hens (cleaned and washed well with salt, halved using a kitchen scissor or a sharp knife)
– 1/2 cup of Hoisin sauce
– 1/4 cup of Maggie Seasoning
– 1 tsp of Five Spices Powder
– 1 tbsp of garlic powder
– 1 tbsp of sugar
– 1 tbsp of honey
– 4 cups of cooked jasmine rice (refrigerated overnight to dry out the rice, broke up the clumps before cooking)
– 3-4 tbsp of unsalted butter
– 2 tbsp of tomato paste
– 1.5 tbsp of Mushroom Seasoning
– 1 tsp of sugar
– large ziplock bag
– cooking oil
– 1 cup of Coco Rico Soda or coconut water
– sliced cucumber and/or tomato
– pickled daikon and carrot
1. Mix hoisin sauce, maggie seasoning, five spices powder, garlic powder, sugar and honey well. Combine mixture with the hens and refrigerate 6-8 hours (overnight) for best result. You can use a large ziplock bag to marinate for easy clean up.
2. When ready to cook, add cooking oil to inner pot and turn on Saute Mode, Adjust to High. Once the oil is hot, add the hens with skin side down first. Allow it to fry for about 2-3 minutes to brown the skin. Turn on the other side for another 2-3 minutes. Add in the remaining marinade sauce and 1 cup of Coco Rico Soda. Mix well and turn off Saute Mode. Close lid, make sure knob is on Sealing, Select Manual/Pressure Cook, 6 minutes, High Pressure.
3. Once cook time is up, quick release! Open lid and switch back to Saute Mode for about 5-10 minutes to thicken the sauce. You can turn the chicken a few times to allow the sauce to soak in. Use this time to adjust the sauce seasoning to your taste. Turn off heat once the sauce is thicken to your liking.
4. Red Rice – On a stove top deep skillet, turn heat on to medium high and add butter. When the butter is melted add the cold rice. Stir and mix well for about 3- 5 minutes. Add tomato paste and spread out evenly on the rice. It’s best to use a spatula to mix. Continue for about 2-3 minutes. Season with about 1.5 tbsp of mushroom seasoning and 1 tsp of sugar. Please adjust to your taste. Turn off heat and remove from stove top.
5. To serve, add red rice and hen to a large plate. Drizzle the thicken sauce on top of the chicken. Garnish/serve with slice tomato and cucumber. It also goes well with pickled daikon and carrot (Do Chua)