Sườn Nướng Sả Instant Pot (Grilled Lemongrass Ribs)
Author: Katie Le | Katie’s Test Kitchen
- ~ 3 lbs of pork spare ribs (washed well, drained)
- 2 tbsp of finely minced lemongrass (for best result use a food processor to mince)
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- 3 tbsp of Maggi Seasoning
- 1 tbsp of cooking oil, prefer olive oil
- 3 tbsp of oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp of fish sauce
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp of Five Spices Seasoning
Scallion-Oil Mixture (dau hanh):
- 2 green onion (chopped)
- 2 tbsp of cooking oil, olive oil is preferred
- a pinch of salt
- Mix well all spices and sauces under “Marinade” section. Stir to make sure sugar is dissolved. Add lemongrass to the mixture. In a large zip-lock bag or contain, add ribs and pour in marinade mixture. Close the bag and massage the ribs from the outside. Be sure that marinade covers the ribs. Allow it to marinate in the refrigerator overnight for best result.
- Once ready to cook, add trivet to inner pot. Pour in 1.5 cups of Coco Rico Soda. Lay ribs on trivet, can double layer/crisscross (see photos above). Be sure ribs do not touch the Coco Rico Soda on the bottom. Close lid, make sure Knob is on Sealing, select Pressure Cook/Manual, High Pressure, 15 minutes, 5 minutes NPR. While the ribs are cooking, extract 2 tbsp of marinade mixture and add in 1 tbsp of honey. Mix well to dissolve the honey.
- Manually release the pressure after 5 minutes NPR. Open lid and gently remove ribs to a plate. Use a basting brush to baste the honey marinade mixture from step 2 onto the ribs, be generous! Add ribs to Air Fryer but don’t overcrowd, set 390/400 F for temperature and cook time is approximately 5-7 minutes or until the ribs are brown to your liking. Initially check often to make sure it’s not over-charred. Please note that cook time may vary based on the size and power of your Air Fryer. Please use this setting as a guide only. Alternatively, the ribs can be broiled “Low” in the oven for about 3 minutes, flip them half way and rub the new side with honey marinade, put back in the oven and broil for another 2-3 minutes.
- For the scallion-oil mixture (dau hanh), in a microwavable bowl combine chopped green onion, oil and a pinch of salt. Cover lightly and microwave for 1 minute. Remove and set aside.
- Once ribs are done “grilling”, generously baste the scallion-oil mixture on them. Serve with rice/broken rice and sliced cucumber/tomatoes. Add scallion-oil on top of the rice for extra flavor. These ribs also go well with Pickled Mustard Greens. A good sauce for the rice would be some Maggi Seasoning with a squeeze of lime juice, a bit of sugar to taste and add in sliced fresh chili pepper. Enjoy!