Sườn Kho Thơm Trứng Instant Pot (Vietnamese Braised Spare Ribs with Pineapple and Eggs)
Author: Katie Le | Katie’s Test Kitchen
- 2 lbs of spare ribs (parboil on stove top for 5 minutes, rinsed well, drained)
- 1 shallot (minced)
- 5 tbsp of fish sauce
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- 2 tbsp of mushroom seasoning
- 1/2 tsp of black pepper, extra to garnish
- 1-1.5 tsp of coconut caramel sauce, depending on dark you want the ribs to be (make your own caramel color if you wish); see FAQs #8 for photo reference
- 8-10 peeled eggs (add 1 cup of water in inner pot, place eggs on steamer basket or trivet, cook high pressure for 4 minutes, quick release, soak eggs in cold water for about 5 minutes before peeling)
- 1 can (2 cups) of Coco Rico Soda (can substitute for coconut water)
- 2 cups of water
- 1/3 cup of fish sauce
- 1/2 a pineapple (peeled, removed core, cut to small chunks)
- 2 green onion (chopped)
- In a large bowl add parboiled spare ribs with minced shallot, 5 tbsp of fish sauce, 2 tbsp of sugar, 2 tbsp of mushroom seasoning, 1/2 tsp of pepper and 1 – 1.5 tsp of coconut caramel sauce. Give it a good toss and marinate for about 30 minutes to an hour. If you are short on time, 15 minutes would be okay too!
- When ready to cook add spare ribs and marinade mixture to the inner pot. Gently place peeled eggs on top of the spare ribs, pour 1 can of Coco Rico Soda and 2 cups of water and 1/3 cup of fish sauce. Give it a good stir and close the lid. Select Pressure Cook/Manual, High Pressure, 8 minutes, 5 minutes NPR.
- Once cook time is over, allow the IP to release pressure on its own for 5 minutes. After that manually releasing the remainder pressure (Quick Release). Switch to saute mode with normal heat (lid off) and add the pineapple. Stir a few times and let it simmers for 10-15 minutes or so. Color will slowly get darker. Use this time to taste the sauce and add more sugar/mushroom seasoning/fish sauce as needed. For minor taste adjustment I’d recommend to add mushroom seasoning, 1 tbsp at a time. Please cater to your taste!
- Garnish with chopped green onion and black peppers. Serve with rice!