<strong>Canh Xà Lách Xoong Nấu Thịt Bằm</strong> (Vietnamese Watercress with Ground Pork Soup)
Author: Katie Le | Katie’s Test Kitchen
Marinade for Ground Pork:
- 1/3 lb of ground pork
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 1.5 tbsp of mushroom seasoning
- 1 tbsp of fish sauce; I used 3 Crabs brand.
- 1/4 tsp of black pepper
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 green onion (smashed and minced white part for marinating; green part chopped to garnish)
- 2 bunches of watercress (washed well, drained and chopped in half)
- 5 cups of hot water
- 1-2 tbsp of cooking oil
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 1/4 tsp of ground black pepper, more to garnish
- 1 tbsp of Quoc Viet Vegetarian Soup Base
- Combine all items under “Marinade for Ground Pork” section above. Allow it marinate for 10-15 minutes.
- When ready to cook, bring 5 cups of water to a boil in your kettle. In your soup pot, on medium heat add cooking oil to cover bottom surface (about 1-2 tbsp). Once it’s hot add sliced shallot then follow by the marinated ground pork and saute until it’s no longer pink. Pour in 5 cups of boiling water. Add 2 tbsp of Quoc Viet Vegetarian Soup Base. Taste the both and adjust accordingly with extra seasonings such as sugar and/or mushroom seasoning. Once the broth comes to a boil add the watercress. Turn off heat when the watercress are slightly wilted.
- Garnish with chopped green onion and black pepper. This soup can be served with white rice and compliment perfectly with Braised Fish and Stir-fried Water Spinach with Garlic as part of a traditional Vietnamese Family Dinner.