Chè Đậu Đen Instant Pot (Vietnamese Black Beans with Coconut Milk Dessert)
Author: Katie Le | Katie’s Test Kitchen
- 1 cup of dry black beans (washed well, cover with water and soaked 6-8 hours/overnight, drained)
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 3 cups of water
- One (1) 14 oz can of coconut cream (if available, use Savoy Coconut Cream, they are the best!)
- 2 cups of water (if you are using a more diluted coconut milk, versus coconut cream, then omit water here but instead add another can of coconut milk; so total use 2 cans of coconut milk and no water)
- 1/3 cup of tapioca pearls (soaked in warm water for 15-20 minutes, drained)
- 2 Pandan leaves (typically found in the frozen section)
- 3/4 to 1 cup of sugar (more or less depends on your sweet tolerance/preference)
- 1 bag of Vanilla Sugar OR 1 tsp of Vanilla Extract
- Add soaked beans, 1/4 tsp of salt and 3 cups of water to inner pot. Give it a good stir before closing the lid. Select Pressure Cook/Manual, High Pressure, 17 minutes, NPR.
- Once pressure has been naturally released, drain the beans in a colander and flush with cold water. Set aside. ***Please note when cooking beans to allow the IP to naturally release pressure on its own. Do not Quick/Manual Release to prevent spillage.
- In a stove top pot, bring coconut cream, water and 2 Pandan leaves to a gentle boil. Add soaked tapioca pearls and cook for about 3-5 minutes or until they expand. Add sugar and 1 bag of Vanilla sugar or Vanilla Extract if using. Taste the sauce to make sure the sweetness level is to your liking. Add more sugar if needed. Lastly, add cooked beans and bring the sauce to a boil. Turn off heat and remove Pandan Leaves. Black Beans with Coconut Milk Dessert can be served hot or cold.