Đùi Gà Kho Gừng Instant Pot (Vietnamese Ginger Chicken)
Author: Katie Le | Katie’s Test Kitchen
- 8 chicken drumsticks or about 2 lbs (prefer smaller size drumsticks, washed well with salt and pat dry; OPTIONAL – made a few cuts on each drumstick)
- 3 tbsp of good fish sauce (I used Red Boat)
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- 2 tbsp of mushroom seasoning
- 1 tsp of coconut caramel sauce (see FAQ #8 for photo reference)
- 1 tbsp of minced shallot
- 1 tbsp of minced garlic
- 1 large knob of ginger, peeled and julienne (see photo below for size reference)
- Cooking oil
- 1 cup of Coco Rico Soda (can substitute with coconut water)
- 1-2 green onion to garnish, chopped
- In a large bowl, mix well fish sauce, sugar, and mushroom seasoning. Add ginger, minced shallot, minced garlic, and drumsticks to mixture. Drizzle coconut caramel sauce on top. Toss well and allow the chicken to marinate on your counter top for about 30 minutes. For best result, marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
- When ready to cook, turn on Saute mode on your IP. Add cooking oil enough to cover the bottom (around 2-3 tbsp) of the inner pot. Once the oil is hot gently 1 by 1 add the drumsticks. Sear for about 1-2 minutes then flip to the other side for another 2. Combine 1 cup of Coco Rico Soda with the marinade sauce and pour over the drumsticks. Give it a quick stir and close lid, be sure knob is on Sealing. Select: Pressure Cook/Manual, High Pressure, 4 minutes.
- Once cook time is over, gently move knob to Venting to release all pressure (Quick Release). Open lid, hit Cancel, select Saute mode, adjust to Normal heat. Bring the sauce to a boil for approximately 10 minutes or until sauce is thicken to your liking, flip drumsticks a few times. Once sauce is thicken, taste the sauce and season to your taste with more sugar or fish sauce if needed. Once the taste is to your liking, select “Cancel” and let the drumsticks sit in the pot for another 5 minutes (lid off). Add drumsticks to a serving plate and pour sauce over. Garnish with chopped green onion. Serve with rice!
Hi, I don’t see where you use the coconut caramel sauce ?
Hi Greg, it was supposed to be in step 1. I just edited the recipe. Sorry about that.
Hi can you use chicken breast
I have not but you could. Although I think bone-in chicken thighs would be better for this dish than chicken breast.
Hi Katie. Can you use any other sauce to substitute fish sauce? Like maybe soysauce?
Yes, I’d try soy sauce. Adjust the seasoning/sauce at the end, cater to your taste.
Hi Katie! We love this recipe! thank you 😊
Hi, Katie! Can this recipe be doubled?
Hi, I recommend to not double it for reason that the chicken tastes better when Saute in the sauce. It absorbs better in 1 layer.