1. Clean the chicken by trimming fat and wash thoroughly with salt and warm sink water. Use vinegar as well if you wish. Rinse again with warm sink water. Place chicken into inner pot along with soaked Shiitake mushrooms, 1 onion, slices of ginger, rock sugar, 7 tbsp of Quốc Viet Chicken Soup Base (omit if you are not using)***, and 7 cups of boiling water. Using boiling water will speed up pressure building time. Select Manual/Pressure Cook, High Pressure, 12 minutes. 5 minutes NPR.
2. Soak cellophane noodles in warm sink water for 10 minutes. Blanch in boiling water for 5 to 10 seconds, drain and set aside or add to individual bowl.
3. Once cook time is over, allow the IP to NPR for 5 minutes. Then slowly move the knob over to Venting. It will take about 5 minutes to release all pressure. Open lid and remove chicken first, add to a colander and immediately place in the sink under COLD running water for 2 minutes to shock the meat (stop from further cooking). Set aside to dry. Wait until chicken is completely cooled before de-bone and shred into small pieces.
4. Remove and discard onion. Switch to Saute mode and add about 11 more cups of boiling water. Bring broth to a boil and season to your taste. ***If you omitted soup base in Step 1, at this time add 2 tbsp of Sea Salt (if you use regular salt, add just 1.5 tbsp), 4 tbsp of Mushroom Seasoning, 1 tbsp of granulated sugar
. Please cater to your taste and adjust accordingly!
5. Place shredded chicken on a bed of sliced cabbage and Vietnamese coriander. Garnish with fried shallot and cilantro. To assemble the bowl, ladle boiling broth with mushrooms onto cooked cellophane noodles. You can add shredded chicken directly into noodle bowl. Garnish with chopped green onion, cilantro and Vietnamese coriander. Add ground pepper and fried shallot on top. Serve with bean sprout, sliced jalapeno and lime wedges. Ginger Fish Sauce is a must for dipping the chicken!