Broth for 8-quart IP
- 2 corns (peeled, cut in half)
- 1/2 a jicama (peled, cut in half)
- 1 to 2 daikon (peeled, cut into chunks, about 1 inch thick)
- 4 carrots (peeled, cut into chunks)
- 4 oyster mushrooms (sliced, 1/3 inch thick)
- 1 large knob of ginger (peeled and toasted oven until light charred)
- 1 large onion (toasted together with ginger until lightly charred)
- Quoc Viet Pho Chay Soup Base (about 7 tbsp)
- about 1 tbsp of rock sugar
- 1 bag of Pho Spices (toasted in oven for 1 minute, placed in filter bag) ** If using Powder Spices (such as Pastuer brand, then add 1 bag directly to IP. No need for toasting!
- Fried tofu (sliced)
- Dried bean curb (Thit Chay; hydrated in water for 10 minutes, washed and squeezed out excess liquid OR follow instructions on the packaging)
- 1/2 to 1 lb of Shiitake mushroom (washed and sliced)
- 1 box of Button mushroom or any kind of white mushroom
- Mushroom Seasoning
- Cooing Oil
- 2 shallots (thinly sliced)
Garnishments and Accompaniments
- Basil and/or culantro
- Jalapeno pepper (sliced)
- Lime (wedges)
- Green onion and cilantro (chopped)
- white onion (thinly sliced)
Pho Noodles (fresh or dry, 1 bag makes about 4 bowls; followed packaging instructions)
1. Place all broth ingredients in IP and add boiling water to cover ingredients. Stay a bit below the max line. Set Manual, high pressure, 5 minutes, and 15 minute NPR (wait an additional 15 minutes after cook time is over then Quick Release)
2. In a wok or deep skillet, add about 1 to 2 tbsp of cooking oil, once it’s hot add 1 thinly sliced shallot and saute until fragrant. Add fried tofu and dried bean curb, saute for 3 to 5 minutes. Season to taste with about 1/4 tsp of salt and 2-3 tbsp of Mushroom Seasoning. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Repeat step 2 but with Shiitake and Button mushrooms. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. Once the 15 minutes NPR is up, slowly turn knob to Venting to Quick Release all remaining pressure (should take about 3 to 5 minutes). Open lid, remove and discard jicama. If you would like to eat the corn remove and set aside, otherwise discard. Pour in more hot water to reach the max and switch to Saute mode. Bring it to a boil and taste your broth to see what adjustments need to be made (add sugar, more soup base, mushroom seasoning as needed). Please cater to your taste!
5. To serve, ladle the hot broth over the noodles. Add daikon, oyster mushrooms, carrots and the saute toppings. Garnish with chopped green onion and cilantro, add white onion if you like. Serve with beansprouts, lime wedge, sliced jalapeno, basil and/or culantro. Hoisin and Sriracha sauce can be added to the bowl at serving.