Cà Ri Chay Instant Pot (Vegetarian Curry)
Author: Katie Le | Katie’s Test Kitchen
For 6 or 8-quart IP:
– 1 to 2 blocks of fried tofu (cut into large cubes)
– 3 lbs of taro root (peeled and cut into large chunks about 1/2 inch thick; soaked in water with a tsp of salt)
– 2 carrots (peeled and cut into large chunks about 1/2 inch thick)
– 2 large king oyster mushrooms (cut into large chunks)
– 3 stalks of lemon grass (use bottom 2/3 only; finely minced 1; and the other 2 cut into long 4 inches stalk, bruised)
– 5 cloves of garlic (minced)
– 1 can of coconut cream (Savoy brand is highly recommended, if not substitute for coconut milk)
– 1 can of coco rico soda
– 3 cups of boiling water
– 4 bay leaves (optional)
– 1 thumb size piece of rock sugar
– 2 tbsp of Madras Curry Powder (I used Ca Ri Nị Ấn Độ Pyramid Brand)***
– about 3 tbsp of Quốc Việt Curry Soup Base)
– mushroom seasoning to taste
– sugar to taste
– cooking oil
– Thai basil (coarsely chopped)
– cilantro (coarsely chopped)
– fresh chilli
– baguette (Bánh Mì)
– rice vermicelli (Bún)
1. OPTIONAL but recommended: Divide the taro in half. In a large pan or skillet on medium heat, add about 3 to 4 tbsp of cooking oil and pan fry half of the chopped taro pieces. We want to lightly fry 30 second to a minute on each side (don’t let it go brown). This helps to prevent taro from breaking up when we add to the soup. Remove and dry on a paper towel plate.
2. In a microwve safe bowl, add pan fried taro and about 3 tbsp of water. Cover with food wrap and microwave for 4 minutes. Remove food wrap and set aside to cool.
3. Using the same skillet that was used to pan fry taro, add 3 tbsp of cooking oil and saute king oyster mushroom with a little bit of minced garlic for about 3 to 4 minutes. Season with 2 tbsp of mushroom seasoning. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. Turn on IP on Saute mode, add 4 tbsp of cooking oil. Once it’s hot add minced garlic and lemon grass. Saute until franquant then add 2 tbsp of Madras Curry Powder (add more if you can take the heat!). Mix well with the oil. Add taro (non pan fried ones), carrots and lemon grass stalks and saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Once the vegetables are coated with curry powder add in rock sugar, bay leaves and 3 tbsp of Quốc Việt Curry Soup Base. Pour 1 can of coco rico soda and 3 cups of boiling water to inner pot. Give it a quick stir and cancel Saute mode. Close lid, select Pressure Cook/Manual, High Pressure, 4 minutes. Quick Release.
5. Once cook time is up, slowly move knob to Venting to release pressure. Open lid and switch to Saute mode. You should see taro pieces broken up. This is what we wanted to achieve, to thicken the broth. Add 1 can of coconut cream, microwaved taro, fried tofu and sauted king oyster mushroom. Stir well and bring broth to a boil for 5 minutes. Season to taste with mushroom seasoning and sugar if needed. For mine, I added 1 tbsp of mushroom seasoning.
6. Garnish with chopped basil and cilantro. Serve with nice warm baguettes. rice vermicelli or rice of your choice. Fresh chilli can served on the side. Enjoy!