Cháo & Gỏi Gà Instant Pot (Vietnamese Chicken Porridge & Salad)
Author: Katie Le | Katie’s Test Kitchen
1. Wash chicken with salt and trim fat/skin as need. Add chicken to inner pot along with 1 onion, 2 shallots, ginger, and 2 tbsp of Quoc Viet Chicken Soup Base. Pour 8 cups of boiling water to cover ingredients. Select Manual/Pressure Cook, 8 minutes, 5 minutes NPR.
2. While chicken is being cooked, make salad dressing my mixing fish sauce, sugar and lime juice. Adjust to your taste by adding more or less of each. Add smashed ginger and minced garlic. Set aside.
3. Once cook time is over, wait an additional 5 minutes (5 minutes NPR), then slowly turn knob to Venting to manually release remaining pressure. Pull chicken out and immediately flush it with cold sink water. This step prevents the chicken from being over cooked and turning brown. Drain and set chicken aside to cool. Remove onion and shallots from chicken broth. Add rice and 2 tbsp of Quoc Viet Chicken Soup Base. Give it a quick stir and close lid. Make sure knob is on Sealing again and select, Porridge, adjust to 18 minutes. Full NPR.
4. While the rice is being cooked, shred chicken and mix with cabbage, slice onion, and chopped Vietnamese coriander. Drizzle dressing on top and toss to combine. Optional to set aside some chicken to add directly to your porridge bowl and set aside some dressing as dipping sauce. Let salad sits for about 15 minutes. Optional to add fried shallot on top before serving.
5. Once all the pressure released (full NPR), open lid and give porridge a good stir. Check for thickness consistency to see if it’s to your liking. If you like porridge to be more loose then add more boiling water and adjust the taste with salt, fish sauce, sugar, mushroom seasoning… etc.
6. When ready to serve, add chopped onion and cilantro (and fried shallot if your like) on top of porridge. Spice it up by adding ground black pepper and hot chili. Chicken salad is served on the side.