Basic Phở Gà Instant Pot (Chicken Pho)
Author: Katie Le | Katie’s Test Kitchen
- (For 6-quart IP)
- 4 chicken leg quarters
- 1 medium daikon (peeled and halved) – Optional but highly recommended
- 1 large onion (toasted to slightly charred)
- 1 large knob of ginger (peeled or unpeeled, halved and toasted to slightly charred)
- 1 bag of dry Pho Seasoning, Old Man brand is good (toasted for about minute until fragrant, added to white filter bag that came with it)
- about 5 tbsp of Quoc Viet Chicken Pho Soup Base
- about 2 tbsp size of rock sugar
- boiling water (to speed up pressure building time)
- Pho noodle (can be fresh or dry, cooked according to package instructions) – 1 bag usually makes 4 bowls
- Bean sprout
- Basil and/or Cultrano (Ngo Gai)
- chopped green onion and cilantro
- white onion (thinly sliced)
- sliced jalapeno pepper or fresh chili of choice
- lime wedges
- hoisin sauce
- sriracha sauce
- ground pepper
Garnishes, vegetables and condiments:
1. In the inner pot, add chicken, daikon, onion, ginger, Pho spices filter bag, Quoc Viet Soup Base, rock sugar along with 7 cups of boiling water (or more to cover all ingredients). Select Pressure Cook/Manual, High Pressure, 8 minutes. Allow 5 minutes NPR then slowly release pressure by turning the knob to “Venting”.
2. Once pressure is released, open lid and pull out chicken, place in a colander and immediately flush it with cold sink water for about 2 minutes. This step stops the chicken from being overcooked and the skin from turning brown. Drain and set aside to cool. De-bone and shred chicken.
3. Discard onion and daikon. Add about 7 more cups of boiling water. Cancel “Keep Warm” and switch to “Saute” mode to bring the broth to a boil. Season to your taste salt, mushroom seasoning, soup base and/or rock sugar.
4. To serve, add cooked Pho noodle and chicken to a large bowl. Ladle the boiling broth over noodle and chicken. Sprinkle with chopped green onion and cilantro. Top with white onion and ground pepper. Serve with fresh bean sprout, basil/cultrano, hoisin and sriracha sauce. OPTIONAL: Make a quick dipping sauce for the chicken meat with lime juice, salt and pepper!