Ra Gu Gà Instant Pot (Chicken Ragu Soup)
Author: Katie Le | Katie’s Test Kitchen
Ingredients(6 or 8-quart)
- 8 chicken drumsticks (halved)
- 3 tbsp of minced garlic
- 1.5 lb of potatoes (cut to small chunks, option to peel)
- 4 carrots (peeled and sliced to about 1/4 of an inch thick)
- 1 white onion (sliced)
- 3 cups of Coco Rico Soda
- 4 cups of boiling water
- 2.5 tbsp of Quoc Viet Chicken Soup Base
- 4 tbsp of tomato paste
- 4 tbsp of fish sauce (I used Red Boat)
- 3 tbsp of sugar
- 5 tbsp mushroom seasoning, and more to taste as needed
- cooking oil
- chopped onion and cilantro
- baguettes or rice for serving
- Clean and wash chicken with salt. Pat dry and marinate for a few hours or overnight with 4 tbsp of fish sauce, 3 tbsp of sugar, 2 tbsp of mushroom seasoning and 2 tbsp of minced garlic/and or shallot.
- When ready to cook turn IP to Saute mode and adjust to High, add about 2-3 tbsp of cooking oil. Once oil is hot add the remainder 1 tbsp of minced garlic. Add potatoes, carrots and sprinkle 3 tbsp of mushroom seasoning. Mix often for about 3- 5 minutes. Remove carrots and potatoes and set aside.
- Add 2-3 tbsp of cooking oil again to inner pot. Once the oil is hot add the marinated chicken and saute for about 5 minutes to seal in the flavor. Add 4 tbsp of tomato paste. Mix and stir to distribute evenly around the chicken. Add 3 cups of Coco Rico Soda, 4 cups of boiling water and 2.5 tbsp of Quoc Viet Chicken Soup Base. Give it a quick stir and close lid. Set Pressure Cook/Manual, 4 minutes, High Pressure. Quick Release.
- Once cook time is up, slowly turn knob to Venting to release pressure. Add carrots and potatoes. Close lid again and set cook time to 4 minutes, High Pressure.
- Once the cook time is up, slowly and gently turn knob to Venting to release pressure and open lid. Cancel Keep Warm and select Saute mode, adjust to Normal heat. Taste your broth to see what adjustments need to be made. Please cater to your taste with more sugar, salt, soup base or mushroom seasoning. Lastly, add slice onion.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and green onion. Best serve hot with a crunchy baguette for dipping or with rice.
Thanks for the recipe Katie. I’m assuming the $ for boiling water is 2 cup?
Hi Anh, yes 2 cups of water. Thanks for picking that up. I really need to better proofread my recipes… LOL. Thanks!
Hi Anh, actually it’s 4 cups. And that’s my final answer. No more changes, I promise!
What brand of mushroom seasoning do you use?
Hi Hai, this brand is decent: https://amzn.to/2WxlXcj
If I can’t get my hands on Quoc Viet chicken soup base due to this pandemic what else can I use that I can buy at American store in replacement?
You can just use salt, sugar, mushroom seasoning/chicken powder and season it yourself to taste.
Can i replace the coco rico soda with 3 cups of coconut water instead?
Thanks for the recipe!
Furing step 2 yhe garlic and mushroom seasoning get burnt and stuck to the bottom so quickly even though I try to stir and scrape. What is your trick?
Perhaps add more oil.
Can you use chicken thigh instead of drumsticks? If so, how many chicken thighs or how many pounds?
2 to 3 lbs should be good.
Thank you for this simple and clear recipe! It was really easy to follow and delicious. I added frozen peas along with the onion at the end for some extra veggies. My family thought it was a bit too sweet, so next time I make it I’m going to cut down to just 1 can of Coco Rico instead of 3 cups (which is 2 cans).