Ra Gu Gà Instant Pot (Chicken Ragu Soup)
Author: Katie Le | Katie’s Test Kitchen
Ingredients(6 or 8-quart)
- 8 chicken drumsticks (halved)
- 3 tbsp of minced garlic
- 1.5 lb of potatoes (cut to small chunks, option to peel)
- 4 carrots (peeled and sliced to about 1/4 of an inch thick)
- 1 white onion (sliced)
- 3 cups of Coco Rico Soda
- 4 cups of boiling water
- 2.5 tbsp of Quoc Viet Chicken Soup Base
- 4 tbsp of tomato paste
- 4 tbsp of fish sauce (I used Red Boat)
- 3 tbsp of sugar
- 5 tbsp mushroom seasoning, and more to taste as needed
- cooking oil
- chopped onion and cilantro
- baguettes or rice for serving
- Clean and wash chicken with salt. Pat dry and marinate for a few hours or overnight with 4 tbsp of fish sauce, 3 tbsp of sugar, 2 tbsp of mushroom seasoning and 2 tbsp of minced garlic/and or shallot.
- When ready to cook turn IP to Saute mode and adjust to High, add about 2-3 tbsp of cooking oil. Once oil is hot add the remainder 1 tbsp of minced garlic. Add potatoes, carrots and sprinkle 3 tbsp of mushroom seasoning. Mix often for about 3- 5 minutes. Remove carrots and potatoes and set aside.
- Add 2-3 tbsp of cooking oil again to inner pot. Once the oil is hot add the marinated chicken and saute for about 5 minutes to seal in the flavor. Add 4 tbsp of tomato paste. Mix and stir to distribute evenly around the chicken. Add 3 cups of Coco Rico Soda, 4 cups of boiling water and 2.5 tbsp of Quoc Viet Chicken Soup Base. Give it a quick stir and close lid. Set Pressure Cook/Manual, 4 minutes, High Pressure. Quick Release.
- Once cook time is up, slowly turn knob to Venting to release pressure. Add carrots and potatoes. Close lid again and set cook time to 4 minutes, High Pressure.
- Once the cook time is up, slowly and gently turn knob to Venting to release pressure and open lid. Cancel Keep Warm and select Saute mode, adjust to Normal heat. Taste your broth to see what adjustments need to be made. Please cater to your taste with more sugar, salt, soup base or mushroom seasoning. Lastly, add slice onion.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and green onion. Best serve hot with a crunchy baguette for dipping or with rice.