Xôi Xoài Instant Pot (Mango Sticky Rice)
Author: Katie Le | Katie’s Test Kitchen
- 1 cup of sweet rice/glutinous rice (washed multiple times, rinsed, drained)
- 2-3 ripe mangoes
- 2 cups of water: 1 for the rice, the other for inner pot to build pressure
- 1 can of coconut milk/cream (400 ml) – Savoy Coconut Cream is best!
- Cooking oil
- 1 tsp of corn starch mix with 2 tsp of water (for Step 2)
- 1 tbsp of white sesame seeds (Step 3)
- Stainless steel bowl or ramekin bowl (choose 1 that would fit into your inner pot)
- Sweet Rice –
- Pour rice into a stainless steel bowl or ramekin bowl. Add 1 cup of water into the bowl along with 1 tsp of cooking oil and 1/4 tsp of salt. Give mixture a good stir. Place trivet into inner pot and pour in 1 cup of water. Next, place rice bowl on trivet. Close lid, select Manual/Pressure Cook, High Pressure, 10 minutes, Quick Release.
- While the rice is cooking, whisk 1/2 cup of coconut milk and 1.5 tbsp of sugar. Set mixture aside to wait for the rice. Once rice is done cooking, gently Quick Release by moving the release knob over to Venting. When pressure is fully released, open lid and add to the rice bowl the coconut milk/sugar mixture. Stir well. Close lid and let it “Keep Warm” for 10 minutes for the rice to absorb the sauce. Open lid and remove rice bowl after 10 minutes.
- Coconut Sauce – In a small sauce pan on medium heat, add the remainder coconut milk/cream, 2 tbsp of sugar and 1/4 tsp of salt. Once sauce is about to boil slowly stir in the corn starch mixture to thicken the sauce. Whisk well, bring to a boil, turn off heat and set aside.
- Sesame Seeds – On medium heat in a pan, add sesame seeds and continuously stir for 30-60 seconds or until sesame seeds turn slight brown.
- Mangoes – Peel and slice to however you wish. Be creative!
- Serving – Add cooked rice and mangoes to a plate, drizzle coconut sauce from Step 2. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds.Note: I do not recommend to double this recipe as it takes a lot longer to steam 2 cups of rice. It’s best to make 2 separate batches.