Vietnamese Beef Spare Ribs Soup Instant Pot (Canh Sườn Bò)
Author: Katie Le | Katie’s Test Kitchen
For IP size 6-quart or larger:
- 1.5 to 2 lbs of beef spare ribs (parboiled on the stove top for about 3-5 minutes, rinsed well to get rid of impurities)
- 1 large yellow or white onion (peeled outer layer)
- 2 large carrots (peeled and cut to about 1/2 inch thickness)
- 3 Russet potatoes (peeled, cut into large chunks about 1 inch thick, soaked in a bowl of warm salt water for 5 minutes, rinsed well, drained)
- 8 cups of boiling water
- 1 tbsp of sea salt
- 1/2 tbsp size of rock sugar
- 3 tbsp of mushroom seasoning
- 1/4 tsp of ground pepper, more to garnish
- 2-3 green onion, washed and coarsely chopped
- a handful of cilantro, washed and coarsely chopped
- Add parboiled/cleaned spare ribs, onion, carrots, 1 tbsp of sea salt, 1/2 tbsp size of rock sugar and 8 cups of boiling water to inner pot. Close lid, select Manual/Pressure Cook, High Pressure, 5 minutes. Be sure vent knob is on sealing!
- While the IP is cooking, peel your potatoes and cut them into large chunks, about 1 inch or so thickness. In a large bowl, add about 1/2 tsp of salt and fill it more than half way with warm sink water. Soak the potato chunks in warm salt water for about 5 minutes (this step is so prevent the potatoes from turning brown). Drain and rinse well. Add the potatoes into a microwave safe bowl and cover with food wrap. Microwave the bowl for 5 minutes. Be careful when removing from the microwave as the bowl should be very hot. Potatoes should be cooked/soft but not falling apart.
- Once the IP cook time is over, allow it to release pressure on its own for about 15 to 20 minutes (or all the way if you are not in a rush). After that manually release pressure by moving the knob to venting. Open lid and remove the onion. Turn off Keep Warm and Select Saute, Normal heat. Add the microwaved potatoes and 3 tbsp of mushroom seasoning and 1/2 tsp of ground pepper. Bring the broth to a boil and taste/adjust the broth to your liking. You can add more sugar/mushroom seasoning or water if needed but please cater to your taste.
- To serve the soup, garnish with chopped onion and cilantro, and a few dashes of ground pepper. This soup can be served with rice as well. Enjoy!