Thịt Kho Tàu Instant Pot (Vietnamese Caramelized Pork and Eggs)
Author: Katie Le | Katie’s Test Kitchen
- 2 lbs of Pork Picnic, Butt or Belly (cut into large chunks, 1-2 inches thick)
- 1 dozen eggs
- 1 shallot (minced)
- 4 green onions (white part smashed and minced for marinade, green part chopped for garnishes)
- Fish sauce (I used Red Boat. Another good brand is 3 Crabs)
- Ground pepper
- Coconut Caramel Sauce for color (make your own if you wish)
- 3 cups of Coco Rico Soda (or coconut water)
- 1 cup of water
- red chili to garnish
- Parboil pork for 5-10 minutes on the stove top. Rinse well with sink water and pat dry. In a mixing bowl add 4 tbsp of fish sauce, 3 tbsp of sugar, 1/2 tsp of ground pepper (more or less to your taste) and 1/4 tsp of coconut caramel sauce. Mix marinade well and add chopped white part onion and minced shallot. Toss the pork into the marinade and allow it to sit in the refrigerator for an hour or more.
- For the eggs, place on a trivet/steamer basket. Add about 2 cups of water to inner pot. Select Manual/Pressure Cook, High Pressure, 4 minutes. Quick release when cook time is over. Gently remove eggs and drop them into an ice bath for 5 minutes. Peel and set aside.
- Add pork along with the marinade sauced into inner pot. Gently add peeled eggs. Pour 3 cups of Coco Rico Soda, 1 cup of water, 1/2 cup of fish sauce. Select Manual/Pressure Cook, High Pressure, 30 minutes, 10 minutes NPR.
- Once Cook Time is over, wait additional 10 minutes then Quick Release and open lid. Taste the sauce and make adjustments with sugar and/or fish sauce if necessary. Garnish with chopped green onion and fresh chili. Serve with rice, raw vegetables (cucumber and tomato), boiled vegetables (broccoli and chayote) or fermented cabbage!