Thịt Kho Tàu Instant Pot (Vietnamese Caramelized Pork and Eggs)
Author: Katie Le | Katie’s Test Kitchen
- 2 lbs of Pork Picnic, Butt or Belly (cut into large chunks, 1-2 inches thick)
- 1 dozen eggs
- 2 shallots (minced)
- 4 green onions (white part smashed and minced for marinade, green part chopped for garnishes)
- Fish sauce (I used Red Boat. Another good brand is 3 Crabs)
- Ground pepper
- Coconut Caramel Sauce for color (make your own if you wish)
- 3 cups of Coco Rico Soda (or coconut water)
- 1 cup of water
- red chili to garnish
- Parboil pork for 5-10 minutes on the stove top. Rinse well with sink water and pat dry. In a mixing bowl add 4 tbsp of fish sauce, 3 tbsp of sugar, 1/2 tsp of ground pepper (more or less to your taste) and 1/4 tsp of coconut caramel sauce. Mix marinade well and add chopped onion and 2/3 of the minced shallot. Toss the pork into the marinade and allow it to sit in the refrigerator for an hour or more.
- For the eggs, place on a trivet/steamer basket. Add about 2 cups of water to inner pot. Select Manual/Pressure Cook, High Pressure, 4 minutes. Quick release when cook time is over. Gently remove eggs and drop them into an ice bath for 5 minutes. Peel and set aside.
- Add pork along with the marinade sauced into inner pot. Gently add peeled eggs. Pour 3 cups of Coco Rico Soda, 1 cup of water, 1/2 cup of fish sauce. Select Manual/Pressure Cook, High Pressure, 30 minutes, 10 minutes NPR.
- Once Cook Time is over, wait additional 10 minutes then Quick Release and open lid. Taste the sauce and make adjustments with sugar and/or fish sauce if necessary. Garnish with chopped green onion and fresh chili. Serve with rice, raw vegetables (cucumber and tomato), boiled vegetables (broccoli and chayote) or fermented cabbage!