Canh Bún Instant Pot (Vietnamese Pork & Crab Noodle Soup)
Author: Katie Le | Katie’s Test Kitchen
- 4 tbsp of Quoc Viet Bun Rieu Soup Base
- about 1 tbsp size of rock sugar
- Vietnamese Ham/Chả lụa (thinly sliced)
- fried tofu (I usually purchase mine fresh at the grocery store, but you can buy frozen ones as well. How much to put depends on your love for fried tofu. I’d say about 1 block of fried tofu per bowl.)
- 12 oz frozen package of Field Water Crab Mixed (in the frozen section at your Vietnamese grocery)
- 3 eggs white
- thick rice noodle (Bun Bo Hue type, cooked according to packaging instructions, flushed with cold water, squeezed out excess water, drained)
- sugar, salt, mushroom seasoning
- chopped garlic chives
- water spinach (boil for a minute or 2 with 1 tsp of water, removed and immediately added to a bowl of ice water, drain)
- sliced fresh chili
- lime wedges
Broth for 6-quart (12 cups of broth):
Option 1: Using homemade chicken broth that you cooked ahead of time. Here is my post of homemade broth using IP: Chicken Broth with IP
Option 2: Using store bought chicken broth. It tends to be high in sodium so I’d recommend to dilute with water (half broth, half water).
Option 3: Using traditional pork broth. About 2 lbs of pork bones (washed, parboiled on stove top for 5-10 minutes, rinsed well), and 1 large onion.
Garnishes and Others
- If you choose Option 1 or 2 for broth, simply heat it up on the stove top pot. For 12 cups of broth, season with 1 tbsp size of rock sugar, and 4 tbsp of Quoc Viet Bun Rieu Soup Base. If you choose Option 3, place parboiled bones and onion into inner pot. Add rock sugar, soup base and about 7 cups of water to cover ingredients. If you are in a rush use boiling water to speed up pressure building time. Select Pressure Cook/Manual, High Pressure, 20 minutes. 15 minutes NPR or full NRP if you have time.
- For the Rieu topping, in a mixing bowl combine Field Water Crab Mixture and 3 egg whites. Whisk to break up the egg whites and set aside.
- Once pressure is released, open lid, remove and discard onion and bones. Add 5 more cups of boiling water. Cancel Keep Warm, select Saute Mode and Adjust to Normal heat. When the broth comes to a gentle boil, slowly pour in Field Water Crab Mixture with egg whites. Once it forms a big clump on the surface gently remove and set aside. Adjust the broth to your taste with sugar, chicken powder/ mushroom seasoning or more soup base. Lastly, add fried tofu.
- To serve, add cooked noodle into the broth for about 30 seconds to a minute, remove the noodle and add to a bowl. Ladle boiling broth with fried tofu on top. Add sliced Vietnamese Ham and Field Crab lump. Garnish with chopped garlic chives. Serve with boiled water spinach, fresh chili pepper and lime wedges.