Noodle – Make your own or buy XL Pho Noodle packages
XL Pho Noodle, tumeric and oil
– Soak XL Pho Noodles in water for about 15 – 30 minutes. Boil water and add 1 tbsp of oil and tumeric. Add noodles until soften. Flush well with cold water.
– chopped green onion and cilantro
– roasted peanuts (lightly crushed)
– banana blossom (thinly sliced and soaked in water with 1/2 tbsp of lime juice or vinegar)
– bean sprouts
– herbs such as mint leaves
– lettuce (coarsely chopped)
– sesame rice crackers
– fish sauce with red chilli peppers
– lime wedges
1. Place parboiled spare ribs into inner pot along with 1 onion, 1 tsp of salt, 1 piece of thumb size rock sugar, and 6 cups of boiling water. Select Pressure Cook/Manual, 8 minutes, full NPR. Note: if you are short on time 20 minutes NPR is sufficient.
2. Make annatto oil by heating up 2 tbsp of olive oil and 1 tbsp of annatto seeds. Stir constantly for about 3 minutes until oil color becomes rich orange. Turn off heat and pour the oil through a sieve to remove the seeds. Note: You can do this ahead to save time.
3. Add annatto oil to a deep skillet, once it’s hot add minced garlic and shallot and saute until they release fraquance. Add sliced pork belly/pork butt and stir frequently for about 4 minutes then add shrimps and continue to saute for 2 minutes. Add dry seasoning: 1/2 tsp of salt, 1 tbsp of sugar, 2 tbsp of mushroom seasoning, 1 tsp of paprika, and 1 tsp of garlic powder. Stir well to make sure seasonings cover shrimps and pork. Turn off heat and set aside to avoid over cooking shrimps.
4. Once pressure is released open lid and discard onion. Add 4 more cups of boiling water (total water is 10 cups). Switch to Saute Mode and bring broth to a boil. If you had set aside the shrimp heads add them now and cook for about 3 minutes then remove and discard. Broth surface will change to a soft orange color. Pour saute shrimps and pork into the broth pot along with all the sauce from the skillet. Quickly remove all the shrimps to avoid over cooking, set aside. Season the broth with 1 tsp of salt and 1 tbsp of mushroom seasoning. Please season to your taste!
5. To assemble bowl, add tumeric noodle and shrimps. Ladle boiling broth along with spare ribs and pork belly/pork butt. Mì Quảng is served with very little broth. Broth usually stays below the noodle. Garnish with chopped onion and cilantro, and crushed peanuts. Serve with banana blossom, bean sprout, herbs, lime wedges, chopped lettuce and sesame crackers (break into small pieces). Enjoy!
If you decide to make purchases via the Amazon links on this page, Amazon will send me a small commission. This commission will help support Katie’s Test Kitchen with some operational costs (web hosting fees and such). Thanks for your love and support!