Canh Rau Spinach Tôm Khô (Spinach with Dried Shrimps Soup)
Author: Katie Le | Katie’s Test Kitchen
- 1/2 lbs (8 oz) of spinach leaves, (I like buying the package from the salad section. It has been washed and ready to eat. If you buy the bundles then cut off the old stems and wash at least 3 times.)
- 5 cups of water
- 1/3 cup of dried shrimps, (Soaked in warm water for at least 15-30 minutes or until soften. Drained the liquid, then use a mortar to lightly smash the shrimps to release flavor.)
- 1.5 tsp of sea salt
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- 1 tbsp of mushroom seasoning
- 1/8 tsp of black pepper
- Bring 5 cups of water to a boil. Add soaked dried shrimps and let the liquid boil for 2-3 minutes. Then season with sea salt, sugar, mushroom seasoning and black pepper. Adjust the taste to your liking.
- Lastly, add spinach leaves and turn off heat. Let the spinach leaves sit in the pot for another 5 minutes. Add a few dashes of black pepper on top when ready to serve. Goes well with rice as part of a typical Vietnamese Family Dinner (Com Gia Dinh).