Gà Xào Sả Ớt (Vietnamese Lemongrass Chili Chicken -Boneless Version)
Author: Katie Le | Katie’s Test Kitchen
- 1.5 – 2 lbs of chicken breast or boneless chicken thigh (washed well with salt, rinsed, sliced to about 1/2 inch thick)
- 1 tbsp of garlic powder
- 3 tbsp of fish sauce (I used 3 Crabs brand)
- 2 tbsp of mushroom seasoning
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- 3-4 tbsp of finely minced lemongrass (about 2-3 stalks, used bottom white part, minced with your knife or food processor)
- 1 tsp of turmeric powder
- 2 cloves of garlic (sliced)
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 cup of Coco Rico soda
- 1-2 fresh chili (thinly sliced)
- Combine all items under “marinade” section. Mix well and let the chicken marinate for about half an hour or longer in the refrigerator.
- When ready to cook turn stove to medium high heat and add about 2 tbsp of cooking oil or more to cover the bottom of your skillet. Once the oil is hot add sliced garlic follow by minced lemongrass. Quickly stir to release fragrance then add the marinated chicken. Toss the chicken evenly into the lemongrass. Then add 1 tsp of turmeric powder (more if you want a brighter yellow color for the chicken). Mix and stir for about 2-3 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink on the outside. Pour in 1 cup of Coco Rico soda. Lower heat to medium and bring the sauce to a boil to reduce liquid. Once the liquid is reduced to your liking taste the sauce to see if any adjustments need to be made. You can add more fish sauce, sugar or mushroom seasoning if needed. Lastly, add in the fresh sliced chili. Mix well and turn off heat. Note: Adding the fresh chili is optional. For a kid-friendly version, exclude this step.
- Lemongrass Chili Chili Chicken can be served with rice and different vegetables such as cucumber and tomatoes.