Author: Katie Le | Katie’s Test Kitchen
- 1/2 a chicken (rubbed with salt, trim fat as necessary, rinsed with warm sink water)
- 1 cup of white rice, can use 1/2 white rice and 1/2 glutinous/sweet rice (washed multiple times, drained well)
- 1 onion (peeled outer dried layers)
- 1 knob of ginger – (peeled, halved)
- 4.5 quarts (18 cups of water)
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 3 tbsp of Quoc Viet Chicken Soup Base
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- 1 tbsp of mushroom seasoning
- 1/2 tbsp of fish sauce
- 1/2 tsp of black pepper
- 1 tbsp of cooking oil
- 1 shallot (sliced)
- chopped onion and cilantro
- black pepper
- fried shallot
- lime wedges
- fresh ground chili
- bean sprout
- Bring 4.5 quarts of water to a gentle boil, add chicken, onion, ginger if you are using, and 1/2 tsp of salt. Continue to boil the chicken for 20 minutes on medium heat. Skim the foam and impurities often.
- After 20 minutes, in a medium pan/skillet, add 1 tbsp of cooking oil add sliced shallot and saute until fragrance. Add washed rice and roast for about 5 minutes until they are white/lightly toasted, stir often. Turn off heat and pour the rice into the pot of chicken. Add ginger, 3 tbsp of Quoc Viet Chicken Soup Base and continue to cook for another 20 to 30 minutes until the chicken is fully cooked. You can pierce the chicken with a chopstick, if the liquid comes out clear then the chicken is cooked. Remove the chicken itself and run it through cold sink water, drain well and set aside. De-bone and shred chicken once it’s cooled down. Remove and discard onion.
- Continue cooking the rice for about 15 to 20 minutes or so until they expand to your liking. Remember to stir often. Season to taste with 1 tbsp of mushroom seasoning, 1 tbsp of sugar, 1/2 tbsp of fish sauce, and 1/2 tsp of black pepper. More or less of each to your liking.
- Add the shredded chicken into the porridge. Mix well and it’s ready to serve! Transfer to a bowl, garnish with chopped onion/cilantro, black pepper and fried shallot. You can also spice it up with fresh ground chili. Bean sprout can be added to the bowl if you like the texture with a little crunch.
Hi! Do you have a suggestion for making this using already cooked and shredded chicken?
Use chicken broth (half broth, half water). Shred chicken and mix into the porridge.
what can i substitue for the 1/2 chicken? 2 leg quarters OK?
Yes. Should be fine.