Phở Bò Instant Pot (Vietnamese Beef Noodle Soup)
Author: Katie Le | Katie’s Test Kitchen
Broth for 8-quart IP
– 2.5 lbs of beef bones
– 1 large daikon (peeled and halved, optional but highly recommend to give the broth a natural sweetness)
– 1 large onion (peeled and toasted)
– 1 large knob of ginger (peeled and toasted)
– 1 bag of Pho Seasoning (toasted in an oven or on stove top for about 1 minute or less to release fragrant)
– 2 pieces or thumb-sized rock sugar
– 6 tbsp of Quốc Viet Beef Pho Soup Base
– 16 cups of boiling water
– mushroom seasoning (optional to taste)
– 3 green onion, use white bottom part only to add to broth at the end
Protein options: Sliced eye round beef and beef balls (add to boiling broth before serving)
Condiments and others:
– 1 to 2 bag of fresh Pho noodles (1 bag usually makes 4 bowls), boiled according to package instruction
– lime wedges
– green onion and cilantro (chopped)
– white onion (thinly sliced)
– basil and culantro
– bean sprout
– jalapeño Pepper (thinly sliced)
– Hoisin and Sriracha sauce
1. Wash then parboil beef bones on stove top pot for 10 minutes. Rinse well and add to inner pot.
2. Toast onion and ginger until lightly charred. For the Pho Seasoning, toast for about 1 minute and add to the filter pouch. Add toasted items to inner pot along with rock sugar, 6 tbsp of Quốc Viet Beef Pho Soup Base, daikon and 7 cups of boiling water (just enough to cover i ingredients). Using boiling water will help speed up pressure building time. Close lid and make sure knob is on Sealing. Select Manual/Pressure Cook, High Preessure, 30 minutes. Allow 30 minutes NPR or full NPR. It would take a little more than 30 minutes for the 6-quart to fully NPR with the ingredients above.
3. Release remainder pressure if needed and open lid. Cancel Keep Warm and switch to Saute mode. Remove all solid ingredients then add 9 cups of boiling water. Cater to your taste by adding more soup base (1 tsp at a time), sugar and/or mushroom seasoning. I added 1 tbsp of mushroom seasoning. Lastly, add the white part onion. If you use beef ball slowly drop them in now and bring broth to a boil again.
4. To assemble the bowl, add cooked Pho noodles then top with sliced beef. Pour boiling broth, add sliced white onion and spinkle chopped green onion and cilantro. Serve with basil, culantro, bean sprout, lime wedges and sliced jalapeño pepper. The broth is so good we rarely add Hoisin sauce to our bowl!