Vietnamese Alphabet Beef Soup IP
Author: Katie Le | Katie’s Test Kitchen
- 1 lb of ground beef (I used the 93% lean beef.)
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 tbsp of fish sauce
- 1 tbsp of mushroom seasoning
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- 1/2 tsp of sea salt
- 1/4 tsp of ground pepper
- 3 tbsp of cooking oil
- 10 cups of boiling/hot water (use boiling water to help speed up pressure building time)
- 1.5 tsp of sea salt
- 1 tbsp size of rock sugar
- 2-3 tbsp of mushroom seasoning
Garnishes and Pasta:
- 1 bag/box of Alphabet Pasta, boil according to directions on the package, drain and set aside (It can also be found in the Hispanic/Ethnic food section of most stores.)
- 2 stalks of green onion, chopped
- a handful of cilantro, chopped
- ground pepper
- fried shallot (optional)
- Combine the ground beef and all other items under the marinade section. Mix well and set aside for at least 15 minutes before cooking.
- When ready to cook, turn IP on Saute mode with Normal setting. Add 3 tbsp of cooking oil to inner pot. Once it’s hot add the marinated ground beef. Stir, mix and try to break up the ground beef. Once the beef is evenly cooked pour in 10 cups of boiling water, 1.5 tsp of sea salt and 1 tbsp size of rock sugar. Cancel Saute mode, close lid and make sure knob is on Sealing. Select Pressure Cook/Manual, 5 minutes High Pressure.
- When cook time is done wait an additional 15 minutes (15 minutes NPR) then slowly turn knob to Venting to release all remaining pressure. Open lid and turn on Saute mode, Normal setting. Skim and remove any foams that are on the top surface of the broth. Add 2-3 tbsp of mushroom seasoning and stir well to dissolve. Taste the broth and adjust accordingly to your liking by adding more sugar, mushroom seasoning… etc. Turn off Saute when you are happy with the taste.
- To serve add Alphabet Pasta to a soup bowl, garnish with chopped onion and cilantro. Ladle the hot broth over the pasta. You can also top with fried shallot and ground pepper. Enjoy!
How long do you cook if on stove top? I’m making this today!
I’d say about 20 to 30 minutes
Also, you’ll run into water evaporation on the stove top sp you’ll need to adjust the seasoning or water at the end. The recommended seasonings are for 10 cups of water.
Im so excited about this recipe. Thanks Katie!
Ooooh lal la this’ll be on my list for this following weekend! Thank you so much Katie ❤️
I’ve tried a few of your recipes and i love them all. very easy to make
Thank you! 🙏
Can you cook the noodles in the instant pot while the soup is cooking or does it have pre boiled
I don’t recommend cooking the noodles in the IP as it doesn’t take long on the stove top. I usually boil the noodles while the IP cooks the soup, when it’s done set aside. Only add noodles to bowl and ladle broth over when you are ready to serve.
Hi can I use regular onions instead of shallots?
Yes, you can substitute with regular onion.
I just made your soup right now and both kid and hubby approved! I’m so happy! Thanks for your recipe!
My pleasure! 😊
i’m guessing pasta and water come into the instant pot at the same time? instruction didn’t say.
Boil separately on the stove, drain and set aside. Please see 1st item under Garnishes in the ingredients section. Thanks.
Can I substitute the fish sauce for salt? Will it change the flavor?
You could try using 1 tsp of sea salt in the marinade.
can I use chicken seasoning in place of the mushroom seasoning?
Sure, exact amount I don’t know for sure. But try little at a time and adjust to your taste.
I just made this over the stove top! For the soup base, I only put 1.5 tbsp of mushroom seasoning. I had to add a bit more water and salt because the broth was too sweet for me. Overall, I’d make it again 🙂
Hi Angela, this recipe was meant for IP with no water evaporation. If you make it on the stove top water will evaporate and therefore more water should be added. And if less soup base is used the sugar will need to be reduced otherwise it’s out of ratio and the broth would be too sweet. Thanks 🙏.
Oh, okay! That make’s sense. It was delicious, my parents loved it. Can’t wait to see you next post.
I’m cooking this today. Thank you so much for the recipe.