For 6 or 8-quart IP:
– 1 chicken (roughly 5 lbs)
– 2.5 regular cups of jasmine rice
– 0.5 regular cup of sweet rice
– 1 large knob of ginger (peeled and sliced in half)
– 1 onion
– 5 cloves of garlic, minced
– 3 tbsp of cooking oil
– To taste: sugar, mushroom seasoning, salt… etc.
– chopped green onion and cilantro
– fried shallot
– sliced cucumber and/or tomato
– Vietnamese coriander (Rau Ram, chopped)
Dressing for salad – Combine vinegar, water and sugar below. Soak sliced onion in mixture for 15 minutes.
– 2 Tbsp of vinegar
– 4 tbsp of water
– 2 tbsp of sugar
– 1/2 white onion (thinly sliced)
Coating/Dipping Sauce – Combine all ingredients below. Adjust to your taste!
– 4 tbsp of sugar
– 3 tbsp of fish sauce
– 3 tbsp of lime juice
– smash 5 cloves of garlic and 3 slices of ginger
– fresh chili (finely minced or smashed together with garlic)
1. Wash chicken well with warm sink water. Trim extra fat and skin as necessary and cut chicken in half. Place chicken into inner pot along with 1 tsp of salt, 1 tsp of turmeric powder, sliced ginger and onion. Add about 9 cups of boiling water (using boiling water will speed up pressure building time). Close lid and select Manual/Pressure Cook, High Pressure, 10 minutes. 5 minutes NPR.
2. Wash and rinse rice and sweet rice well. Set aside to let it drains. Make dipping sauce and dressing (see above). Prepare an ice bath for the chicken.
3. Once cook time is over wait an additional 5 minutes then slowly move the valve to Venting to release all remaining pressure. Remove chicken and immediately flush it with cold sink water. Allow the chicken to cool down. Discard ginger and onion. Run the broth through a sieve to remove the impurities.
5. In a large mixing bowl, shred and de-bone chicken. Pour onion dressing and mix well. Add chopped Vietnamese coriander (Rau Ram) and set aside.
6. For the soup, on a stove top pot bring the remainder broth and add more water to make about 6 cups (I added 1 more cup of water). Season with 3 tbsp of Quốc Viet Chicken Soup Base and 1 Tbsp of sugar. Cater to your taste with salt, more sugar, mushroom seasoning… etc.
7. To serve toss 1 serving of chicken salad with 1 tbsp of mixed ginger fish sauce. Add yellow rice and chicken to the plate and garnish with fried shallot and tomato/cucumber slices. Soup is to be served on the side. Garnish soup bowl with chopped onion and cilantro. Extra dipping sauce is also served on the side.
NOTE: Directions above are for 1 Instant Pot. If you have 2 like I do, you can cook the rice in the 2nd pot after you release the pressure of the chicken and cook the soup in the 1st pot. No need for stove top. It’s up to You!