Cơm Gà Instant Pot (Vietnamese Chicken Rice)
Author: Katie Le | Katie’s Test Kitchen
IngredientsMinimum size 6-at IP or larger:
- 1 whole chicken – can be regular chicken, free range or organic free range (cook time will depend on the size, please see below)
- 2.5 regular cups of jasmine rice
- 0.5 regular cup of sweet rice
- 1 large knob of ginger (washed well and sliced in half, can keep skin on)
- 1 onion
- turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp of Quốc Viet Chicken Soup Base
- 5 cloves of garlic, coarsely minced
- 3 tbsp of cooking oil
- Mushroom seasoning, optional to taste
- Wash chicken well with warm sink water. Trim extra fat and skin as necessary and cut chicken in half. Place chicken into inner pot along with 1 tsp of salt, 1 tsp of turmeric powder, 2 tbsp of Quoc Viet Chicken Soup Base, sliced ginger and onion. Add about 12 cups of boiling water (using boiling water will speed up pressure building time). Close lid and select Manual/Pressure Cook, High Pressure, 3 minutes if you are using free range chicken less than 3 lbs or 5 minutes if you are using larger regular chicken, 30 minutes or full NPR.
- Wash and rinse rice and sweet rice well. Set aside to let it drains. Once the rice is drained, on a stove top bring 3 tbsp of oil on medium heat. Add minced garlic and saute to release fragrance then add the washed rice. Saute for 4 minutes then turn off heat and set aside.
- Once cook time is over wait an additional 30 minutes then slowly move the valve to Venting to release all remaining pressure. Remove chicken and immediately flush it with cold sink water. Allow the chicken to cool down. Discard ginger and onion. Use a sieve to remove the impurities (see photo above!). Remove 3 cups of broth and set aside. Turn of Saute mode and bring the broth to a boil. Lastly, add 1 tbsp of sugar. Taste the broth then make adjustments as necessary to cater to your taste. If it’s just a little plain you can add 1 tbsp of Mushroom Seasoning (or more). Once you are satisfied turn off heat. NOTE: If you are using the the same IP to cook the rice then please remove the broth and rinse the inner pot then continue to the next step. If you are using a different IP or have another inner pot such as the non-stick one to cook rice then no need to remove the broth. To cook rice using the IP, I highly recommend to use a non-stick inner pot.
- In the non-stick(preferred) inner pot, add saute rice, 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp of salt and pour 3 cups of the chicken broth to inner pot. Stir well rice and liquid and make sure all the rice is submerged under broth. Select Rice function. You can Quick Release after cook time is done if you are rushing to serve or let it NPR. Open lid and fluff rice. Turn off IP.
- While the rice is cooking, shred and de-bone chicken. Pour onion dressing and mix well. Add chopped Vietnamese coriander (Rau Ram) and set aside.
- To serve toss 1 serving of chicken salad with 1 tbsp of mixed ginger fish sauce. Add yellow rice and chicken to the plate and garnish with fried shallot and tomato/cucumber slices. Soup is to be served hot on the side. Garnish soup bowl with chopped onion and cilantro. Extra dipping sauce is also served on the side. Enjoy!