Author: Katie Le | Katie’s Test Kitchen
- 8 chicken drumsticks or about 2 lbs (prefer smaller size drumsticks, washed well with salt and pat dry; OPTIONAL – Make a few cuts on each drumstick)
- 3 tbsp of good fish sauce (I used Red Boat)
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- 2 tbsp of mushroom seasoning
- 2 tbsp of minced lemongrass
- 1 tbsp of minced shallot
- 1 tbsp of minced garlic
- 1 tsp of turmeric powder
- OPTIONAL: 1-2 fresh Thai chili peppers, chopped
- Cooking oil
- 1 cup of Coco Rico Soda (can substitute with coconut water)
- 1-2 green onion to garnish, chopped
- In a large bowl, mix well fish sauce, sugar, and mushroom seasoning. Add minced lemongrass, shallot, garlic, and drumsticks to mixture. Toss well and allow the chicken to marinate on your counter top for about 30 minutes. For best result, marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
- When ready to cook, turn on Saute mode on your IP. Add cooking oil enough to cover the bottom (around 2-3 tbsp) of the inner pot. Once the oil is hot gently 1 by 1 add the drumsticks. Sear for about 1-2 minutes then flip to the other side for another 2. Combine 1 cup of Coco Rico Soda with the marinade sauce and pour over the drumsticks. Give it a quick stir and close lid, be sure knob is on Sealing. Select: Pressure Cook/Manual, High Pressure, 4 minutes.
- Once cook time is over, gently move knob to Venting to release all pressure (Quick Release). Open lid, hit Cancel, select Saute mode, adjust to Normal heat. Remove about 1 tbsp of the sauce and pour to a bowl, add 1 tsp of turmeric powder and stir to dissolve. Pour turmeric sauce over the chicken, stir well. OPTIONAL: Add fresh chili peppers at this point if you want it spicy.
- Bring the sauce to a boil for approximately 10 minutes or until sauce is thicken to your liking, flip drumsticks a few times. Once sauce is thicken, taste the sauce and season to your taste with more sugar or fish sauce if needed. Once the taste is to your liking, select “Cancel” and let the drumsticks sit in the pot for another 5 minutes (lid off). Add drumsticks to a serving plate and pour sauce over. Garnish with chopped green onion. Serve with rice, and go very well with Chicken Cauliflower Soup!